The survey of nearly 24,000 people found that many of the most desirable places to live have house prices which are relatively cheap compared with the national average.
Seaside and country locations were popular in the study, with many of those surveyed dreaming of setting up home where they can enjoy the views of The Lake District.
Nowhere in London or the South East of England - where house prices tend to be higher - appeared in the top 10.
Rightmove's research manager Abiola Oni said: "The nation clearly want to retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city and settle down in some of the most beautiful places around Britain."
The news comes just days after a Royal Mail study of postcodes named Barrow and Dalton as two of the most desirable places to live and work in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
The most desirable places to live in Britain, according to Rightmove, with the average asking price for a home there, are:
1. Isle of Skye, Scotland, £230,952.
2. Woolacombe, South West, £346,396.
3. Callington, South West, £235,860.
4. St Ives, South West, £366,628.
5. Keswick, North West, £319,628.
6. Pembroke, Wales, £169,969.
7. Padstow, South West, £421,290.
8. Salcombe, South West, £635,083.
9. Ambleside, North West, £431,669.
10. Newquay, South West, £246,976.
Would you like to live in one of the most desirable places in the UK? Click here to view the latest career opportunities in Cumbria.
Subscribe to our newsletter: get a glimpse of what it's really like to live and work in Cumbria.