Environmental Monitoring Summer Student
LLW Repository Ltd
Contract Type: Full Time Temporary
Salary: £10.00 per hour
Seniority: Summer Student
Date Posted: 8th February 2018
Closing Date: 23rd February 2018
Reference Number: SS 01 18
The Low Level Waste Repository (LLWR), based in West Cumbria, is the UK's primary facility for the permanent disposal of solid low level radioactive waste. The LLWR is required to undertake an Environmental Monitoring Programme (EMP) that includes samples of various media (e.g. groundwater, surface water, sediment, leachate, milk, etc.). In addition, the LLWR operates a programme of site characterisation to investigate any land contamination issues.
During placement as a summer student at LLWR you will gain valuable experience of working within the environmental and nuclear industries. There will also be the potential for you to undertake a project of your own, which could ultimately lead to a dissertation/thesis project.
Placement Duration It is anticipated that the placement at LLWR will last for a period of 8 weeks between July and September 2018.
As a summer student at LLWR you will be expected to:
- Undertake field work in accordance with the Environmental Permit and LLWR's monitoring plans.
- Assist in the delivery of the EMP.
- Assist in any site characterisation and contaminated land investigations.
- Assist in compilation and entry of monitoring data into the environmental monitoring database.
- Comply with legislative, regulatory and company policy standards and procedures e.g. safety, quality, risk, security etc. applicable to the role.
- Carry out checks on the condition of monitoring infrastructure and ensure that it remains fit for purpose. Whilst on-site you will be accountable to the Site Characterisation Manager for all aspects involving the EMP and site characterisation project.
Background information: The Low Level Waste Repository (LLWR) has been in operation for over 50 years providing an essential service by managing the UK’s low level radioactive waste. Under the management of UKNWM which consists of AECOM, one of the world’s largest firms in the construction and engineering sector, Studsvik UK, who provide recognised expertise in the treatment and management of nuclear waste and Areva, the world’s largest nuclear service provider. We manage the national Low Level Waste Repository in West Cumbria and oversee a national Low Level Waste programme to ensure that lower activity waste is managed effectively on behalf of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority.
Nothing is more important to LLWR than safety, and this is reflected in our safety record. We believe that nothing is more important than the protection of the environment and the health and safety of our employees, suppliers and the public. LLWR has shown a commitment to consistently improve its approach to safety management and learn from Best Practice, inside and outside the nuclear sector. This presents an exciting opportunity for individuals to make a real difference and substantial contribution to a focused long term profitable business with significant potential for future development and growth. We are committed to ensuring that people who join LLW Repository Ltd feel well treated and confident about their future.
Applying for this job
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the Choose Cumbria website.
- Awareness of environmental sciences or environmental sampling.
- Interest in geology / hydrogeology / hydrology.
- Good IT skills.
- Proactive behaviour
- Ability to undertake tasks with minimal supervision
- All applicants must be willing to undergo security clearance and health screening.
Please send your C.V and completed application form by the closing date to: Human Resources Department LLWR Ltd Pelham House Calderbridge CA20 1DB or e-mail to email@example.com.
Full Location AddressHuman Resources Department